Electricity (1955)

A public supply became available in the village in the late 1930s, but no moves were made to bring it into the church for some twenty years.

During the 1950s, an Electricity Fund was set up by the then Vicar, and by 1955, sufficient resources were available to enable a start on conversion to be made, which initially involved the provision of an electric blower for the organ, whilst a lighting installation had to wait another two years.

Oil lamp hanging in the chancel

The old oil lamps, last renewed in 1927, were then removed.  Recently, one of these, saved from the scrapheap, and stored away for many years, was restored, fitted for electricity, and now hangs in the chancel, where it provides an interesting and decorative memento of the past.