In 1889 the old north wall of the chancel was extensively modified, and a completely new Vestry was built adjoining it. The organ, removed from its old position in the gallery, was placed beneath an archway opened out between chancel and vestry, and separated from the latter by a massive oak screen. Access to the vestry was provided from the chancel by a new doorway at its eastern end, and an ancient Early English stone doorway, moved from the chancel wall, provided an exit to the churchyard outside.
In recent years, the vestry has been made more comfortable with running water, modern furnishings, and a handsome carpet. The old chimney stack, beneath which stood a coke stove, has been adapted to provide a flue from the boiler house outside.
The Parish Registers
The Register volumes currently in use are kept locked in the vestry safe. For Baptisms, the book contains entries since 1908; those for Marriages and Burials extend back for a few years only. The Registers were started in 1603, and entries have been compiled continuously since that date: all those for past years are now stored for safe-keeping in the archives at the County Records Office in Exeter, where details are available for public scrutiny.